We were celebrated within our radio business for our shows, commercial news output and in our publishing business and our team members were hailed as some of the biggest and brightest stars trailblazing the industry.
The Television and Radio Industry Club Awards crowned The Christian O’Connell Breakfast Show at Absolute Radio as Best Radio Programme.
Christian collected the prize, voted for by members of the industry, with co-host Richie Firth at the show in Grosvenor House Hotel earlier this month.
This was a great parting gift to Christian who is leaving Absolute Radio after twelve years this year.
IRN News Awards
The Oscars of the commercial news world took place at Sky Headquarters earlier this month and Bauer were already celebrating at the outset with an impressive 24 nominations heading in.
Bauer took home a suite of awards across many categories:
- For the third time in four years, Radio Aire in Leeds was named ‘News Team of the Year’ (TSA under a million);
- Radio City’s David Sanderson was named ‘Newsreader of the Year’ (TSA over 1 million);
- Sophie Merrick from Free Radio Coventry & Warwickshire was named ‘Newsreader of the Year’ (TSA under 1 million);
- The prestigious IRN Gold Award was presented to Sandy Warr for her outstanding contribution to commercial radio;
- Hallam FM’s Ben Bason was runner up in the Newcomer category and Metro Radio News was runner up in the News Team of the Year award;
- Gem’s Learning for Life campaign was also commended in the Campaigning Journalism category.
Bauer’s success at the IRN awards exemplifies the influence and scale of our ground-breaking news content tailor made for audiences across the UK.
PPA 30 Under 30 Awards
The coveted PPA 30 Under 30 Awards celebrates rising stars in consumer magazines and business media and four Bauer employees made the exceptional talent list:
- Ross Willett, Bauer Direct; Ross is Senior Sales Executive for Empire, Q, Mojo & Planet Rock. In 2017, he single-handedly managed all 4 titles and delivered 31% growth over plan as well as increasing the spend of one cross-portfolio client 3824% year on year: a huge feat. His creativity and incredibly hard-working attitude has seen him create a great name for himself.
- Victoria Bonney, Bauer Direct – Victoria is currently Digital Telesales Manager for Bauer Direct and Commercial Telesales Manager for specialist titles. She has been recognised for transforming an entire sales floor (including management) of over 70 people, into a department fully focussed on driving revenues from print & digital partnerships for over 60 different brands.
- Vicky Spratt, The Debrief – Vicky is Deputy Editor of The Debrief and has spearheaded numerous campaigns tackling issues that matter to today’s millennials such as #MakeRentingFair and #MadAboutthePill. Vicky is leading the way in delivering influential content that has a social impact.
- Olly Gibbs, Empire Magazine – Olly is a Digital and Print designer at Empire Magazine and is responsible for, amongst other things, creating layouts, type treatments, feature designs, you name it. Each month he brings each digital cover to life with awe-inspiring animations and video covers. Olly's mantra? “How can I make it more Hollywood?” – it needs to reflect the cinematic brand of Empire. He was also involved in the design of the new Pilot TV magazine and created the accompanying website.
The glittering ceremony, at LSO St Luke’s, was hosted by our very own Terri White who crowned the 30 ones to watch in magazine media and we’re thrilled Bauer are strongly represented.
Bauer Media UK are immensely proud of the achievements of our colleagues and look forward to celebrating more successes in the future.