The Q3 2021 RAJAR results have revealed record listening for the industry, with commercial radio reach up 1.5% to 36.8M and hours up 1.1% to 476.5M. In the first RAJAR release since March 2020, radio has proven itself yet again as a resilient and adaptable medium for both consumers and advertisers.
Digital innovation has extended reach, choice and the ability to consume audio content via a variety of new devices and digital channels. 72% of Bauer Media Audio’s listening is now via a digital device, ahead of an industry average of 66%. Bauer is home to three of the top five digital only commercial radio stations: KISSTORY, Absolute 80s and Planet Rock.
Consumer behaviour has changed, and more people are consuming more radio stations for longer. Key performances from Bauer stations include:
- Bauer Media Audio UK has delivered a record reach of 20.6 million.
- The Hits Radio Brand Network is the biggest commercial radio network with a reach of 10.2M.
- Greatest Hits Radio achieved 3.1M reach. This includes a strong performance in London of 548k reach, a brilliant debut now it’s on FM in the capital.
- Strong performance from ARIA station of the year, Magic Radio, with its network delivering a 4.1M reach (up 1%).
- The Absolute Radio Network records its highest ever reach of 5.2M (up 10%) and Absolute Radio extensions 70s, 80s, 90s and Classic Rock all grew (80s increased its reach by 15.8% to 1.7M reach, 90s up 13.5% to 950k, Classic Rock up 10.1% to 895k, 70s up 34% to 309k).
- KISS Network posts 4.7M reach, including No.1 commercial digital only station, KISSTORY (2.3M reach up 9.1%).
- Growth for Scala Radio, up 28.7% to 399k reach, Kerrang! Radio secures 473K reach up 8% and Planet Rock up 10.2% to 1.3M reach.
Dee Ford CBE, Group Managing Director, Bauer Media Audio UK said “What an amazing performance for radio in the UK! Never has it been more evident that radio has a special place in the hearts of listeners, and this shows what a resilient and adaptable medium it is.”
Ben Cooper, Chief Content and Music Officer, Bauer Media Audio UK said “We are incredibly proud of the performance of our strong brands. The Hits Radio Brand is now the UK’s biggest commercial network – an amazing result, and the Greatest Hits Network is a clear success thanks to its distinct music proposition and much-loved presenters. These results combined with stand-out performances from the Absolute Radio Network and the ARIA winning Magic Radio, position us well for the future as we reinvent radio for the next generation by finding new ways to reach audiences.”
- ENDS -
Please note that all RAJAR listening figures from Q3 2021 have been calculated using a modified survey methodology and this should be considered when making comparisons against historical data.
Any increases noted in this release are from the last RAJAR Q1 2020, rather than a direct year or quarter by quarter comparison.