Bauer Media Confirms Lead as UK’s Biggest Magazine Publisher
Bauer Media is No 1 in: TV Listings, Real Life, Film, Music and Women’s Weeklies Classics
TV Choice is still the UK’s biggest-selling magazine
Take a Break is the UK’s No 1 selling women’s magazine
that’s life! takes the No 2 position for the first time in the Real Life Market
Bella retains its No 1 position in the Women’s Classics Market
Bauer Media retains its position as the UK’s biggest selling magazine publisher according to the latest ABC audited figures, with total circulated copies of almost 145 million in the last twelve months.
- No 1 in TV listings (the UK’s biggest magazine category by volume) with TV Choice and Total TV Guide.
- that’s life! takes the No 2 position for the first time in the Real Life market.
- In the Women’s Classics Bella (weekly) retains its No 1 position.
- Grazia, Closer and heat have all increased market share YOY.
- Garden Answers posts 13th successive ABC increase by 7.5% while Garden News is the No 1 weekly gardening title.
- Country Walking magazine sees its 4th consecutive year of ABC growth.
Commenting on the results, Rob Munro-Hall, CEO of Bauer Publishing UK & Co-Head of Global Publishing Business Bauer Media Group, said: “As Bauer strengthens its position as the UK’s biggest publisher, we are extremely proud to deliver a strong performance this period and continue to be No 1 across key markets. With TV Choice leading TV Listings, Take A Break in Real Life, Bella in Women’s Weekly Classics and Garden Answers and Country Walking delivering impressive year-on-year growth within their specialist markets; these results reinforce Bauer’s ability to consistently attract highly engaged and loyal audiences and deepen readers interests across a diverse range of subjects and passions. In 2019 we continued to innovate and successfully launched a number of brand extensions out of our popular brands. Our commitment to invest in producing exceptional content across all platforms for the best possible value, further demonstrates we are delivering what readers and advertisers want.”
Highlights this period:
TV Choice (6 monthly) 1,101,077; Total TV Guide (6 monthly) 87,990
TV Choice (weekly) remains the UK’s No 1 selling title, averaging over 1.1 million copies and outperforms the market trend YOY.
Total TV Guide (weekly) is the best performing title YOY, circulating 87,990 copies on average. Looking at the premium sector in isolation this is a significant outperformance against the other titles.
Once again market share for both TV Choice and Total TV Guide has increased YOY.
Take a Break (6 monthly) 416,695; that’s life! (6 monthly) 173,472
Take a Break (weekly) leads the Real Life market, circulating 416,695 copies and has shown a market beating performance both YOY and POP.
that’s life! (weekly) has also shown a market beating performance both YOY and POP, circulating an average of 173,472 copies. It has now claimed the official number 2 slot in the sector as it outsold its closest competitor.
Take a Break monthly delivers another strong ABC of 175,030, up +0.3% POP.
Bella (6 monthly) 147,762
Bella (weekly) retains its No 1 position in the Women’s Classics market, circulating 147,762 copies on average, and outsells its nearest competitor by almost 32,000 copies.
Closer (6 monthly) 155,368; heat (6 monthly) 112,778
Closer continues to hold its No 2 position within the Celebrity Weekly market with an average of 155,368 copies circulated.
heat and Closer have both grown market share in the Celebrity Weekly market YOY and heat has outperformed the market trend YOY.
Grazia (6 monthly) 102,427
Grazia (weekly) has outperformed the constant Glossies market both POP (+2.3%) and YOY (-0.2%); it also increased market share both POP and YOY, circulating an average of 102,427 copies.
Grazia circulated over 2.5m copies in total this period.
Garden Answers (6 monthly) 43,319; Garden News (12 monthly) 33,526; Landscape (12 monthly) 29,780
Garden Answers (monthly) continues outstanding growth with its 13th consecutive ABC rise, with an average circulation of 43,319 copies on average, up 7.5% YOY.
Garden News (weekly) retains its position as the No 1 weekly Gardening title posting a circulation of 33,526.
Landscape (monthly) goes from strength to strength with its mix of gardens, travel, craft, cookery and heritage and boosts Bauer’s Gardening portfolio posting a circulation of 29,780, YOY growth of 3.1%.
Yours (6 monthly) 220,475
Yours (fortnightly) circulated 220,475 copies on average.
Yours circulated over 3m copies in total in this ABC period.
Mojo (12 monthly) 55,913; Q (12 monthly) 28,359
- MOJO continues to lead the monthly Music market with a circulation of 55,913, circulating nearly 18,000 more copies on average than its closest competitor.
- Q has posted a circulation of 28,359 and seen growth in its digital edition to 3,792.
Empire (12 monthly) 81,221
- Empire remains the highest circulating magazine in the market with almost 50k more copies than its closest competitor.
- In 2019 Empire celebrated its 30th Anniversary with its biggest content project ever. The 30th story was told throughout the year across magazine, digital, podcast, video and through a series of live events.
Country Walking (12 monthly) 33,148; Bird Watching (12 monthly) 15,428;
- The Country Walking brand continues to grow. Over 90,000 people have signed up to its #Walk1000Miles initiative and the magazine has achieved its 4th successive ABC increase with a total ABC of 33,148, up +2.0% YOY.
- Bird Watching also continues to deliver growth for the 4th year in a row. Capitalising on growing participation amongst all age groups the magazine has a total ABC of 15,428, up +1.2% YOY.
MCN (12 monthly) 48,525; Classic Bike (12 monthly) 30,776; Practical Sportsbikes (12 monthly) 19,041; Bike (12 monthly) 31,813; RiDE (12 monthly) 28,057;
- MCN, the weekly voice of British motorcycling, continues to lead the UK motorcycling category as the biggest-selling title with a circulation of 48,525. MCN has also extended its unrivalled reach to motorcyclists via the motcyclenews.com website and a nationwide portfolio of events.
- Stablemate Practical Sportsbikes continues its position as the ultimate magazine for sportsbike enthusiasts in the Modern Motorcycling market, delivering an outstanding circulation increase of 5% to 19,041.
- Classic Bike, the market-leading Classic Motorcycling publication, consolidated its lead by increasing its circulation to 30,776.
- Bauer’s Bike magazine remains the UK’s best-selling Biking monthly at 31,813 copies.
- RiDE underwent a design re-fresh and remains the best-selling monthly Modern Motorcycle title on newsstands.
Classic Car Weekly 21,439 (12 monthly); Classic Cars (12 monthly) 31,003; Practical Classics (12 monthly) 37,014; Car (12 monthly) 44,764; LRO (12 monthly) 23,008;
- Classic Car Weekly (weekly) circulated nearly 1.1m copies in total in this period.
- Practical Classics (monthly) continues to hold its No 2 position within the Classic Car market, circulating 37,014 copies on average.
- Classic Cars (monthly) has a unique content package that continues to resonate with readers and has delivered a market beating UK newsstand performance YOY.
- Influential, inspirational and internationally respected, CAR (monthly) has outperformed the market averaging 44,764 copies per month.
- Land Rover Owner International retains its No 1 position in the 4 x 4 Motoring market, circulating 23,008 copies each issue.
– ENDS –
For more information, please contact:
Susie Asbury, Acting Communications Director, Magazines
email@example.com – 07754 758322
About Bauer Media UK:
Bauer Media UK reaches over 25 million UK consumers through a portfolio of world-class, multi-platform media and entertainment brands including heat, KISS, Grazia, Empire, Magic, Absolute Radio and the Hits Radio Network. These brands offer commercial partners access to highly engaged audiences, with creative solutions underpinned by insight and instinct. Bauer Media UK is part of the Bauer Media Group, one of the world’s largest privately owned media businesses with media assets all over the globe.