Bauer Media UK Releases Audited Circulation Figures for First 6 Months of 2021
- Subscription growth continues, with total subscriptions up 41.8% YOY and 14.9% POP, and print subscriptions up 29.3% YOY and 9.7% POP.
- Digital circulation more than doubled YOY, up 111.1%, and is up 37.4% POP.
- Garden Answers and Garden News celebrate a further surge in subscriptions and newsstand sales versus the previous period
- Grazia records POP and YOY increases with digital copies up 87.3% YOY
- TV Choice continues to sell over one million copies each week
Commenting on the January-July 2021 results, Chris Duncan, Bauer Media UK’s CEO of UK Publishing, said:
“We’re pleased to see a strong competitive performance and a continued upward trend in subscriptions and in digital circulation. This reflects not only the consumer trends accelerated by the pandemic but the work we’ve undertaken to bring our long-term strategy to life and our continued investment in editorial excellence.
Despite continued disruption for the industry, Bauer Media UK will once again provide full transparency to our buying community by publishing our audited sales. We’re committed to creating world-class solutions for our partners to communicate with our diverse and scalable audiences. This includes innovations like Bauer Illuminate, a data-led targeted advertising solution providing exclusive and brand safe access to first-party data gathered from Bauer’s digital environments which we launched just last month.”
Highlights this period:
TV Choice 1,035,403; Total TV Guide 78,732
- Trusted TV listings bible TV Choice (weekly) remains the UK’s No 1 selling title, selling over one million copies each week.
- Total TV Guide (weekly) records an ABC of 78,732 average copies circulated each week. Print subscriptions increased to 14,236, up 12.1% POP and 35.0% YOY.
Take a Break 337,688; Take a Break Monthly 159,859; that’s life 141,933
- Take a Break (weekly) remains the UK’s best-selling women’s weekly magazine, with 337,688 copies circulated each week.
- Take a Break Monthly records an ABC of 159,859 average copies circulated each month. Print subscriptions increased to 8,775, up 68.8% POP and a massive 596.4% YOY.
- that’s life! (weekly), with 141,933 copies circulated each week.
This market remains a large special intertest market that is being sustained through the COVID19 pandemic with our brands celebrating growth both on newsstand and subscriptions.
Garden Answers 70,391; Garden News 43,507
- Garden Answers (monthly) achieved its 16th consecutive YOY ABC increase to 70,391average copies circulated, up an impressive 20.8% POP and 38.3% YOY. Total subscriptions increased to 55,171; up 26.4% POP and 62.2% YOY.
- Garden News (weekly) also increased its ABC to 43,507 average copies circulated, up 9.8% POP and 15.2% YOY. Total subscriptions increased to 19,685; up 11.1% POP and 31.9% YOY.
Women’s Weekly Classics
- Bella (weekly) remains number one in the Women’s Weekly Classics market.
- Bella saw digital growth of 4.4% POP.
Closer 97,424; heat 70,010
- Closer (weekly) retains its position as number two in the celebrity market recording double digit digital growth of 14.9% POP and 27.4% YOY.
- Closer saw a total subscription increase of 23.5% YOY.
- Closer recently launched The Boost, a new platform supported by Closer with an Instagram presence and content within the print magazine. It covers every aspect of wellbeing with tips, info and inspiration from influencers, real people, celebs and experts.
- heat (weekly) enjoyed digital growth of 42.8% POP and 77.2% YOY and continues to grow on YouTube launching the third series of “Under the duvet” in partnership with Voxi.
- Between January to June 2021 on Apple News, heat reached over 15 million unique users, had nearly 150,000 unique issue downloads and counted 1.8 million minutes of engagement time from premium subscribers.
- Grazia (fortnightly) has posted another circulation growth with an ABC figure of 86,413, an increase of 0.9% on the last period and up 6.6% YOY. The title also built on its digital growth showing an increase of 23.1% POP and 87.3% YOY.
- The Juggle, Grazia’s new social parenting community, continues to thrive after its January launch with top-performing Instagram posts seeing over 2,300 likes. As well as supporting mums with useful advice and some light relief, The Juggle also launched a petition for an independent review into childcare funding and affordability. This was later debated in Parliament after 100,000 people signed the petition in just one week.
- Grazia has shown innovation in the beauty category by hosting virtual events and launching a brand-new podcast. In February, Grazia hosted its first virtual skincare festival, “Grazia Skin Sessions” in partnership with L’Oreal Skinceuticals – a week of Zoom webinars on all things skincare with some of the most well-respected experts and beauty influencers. Grazia’s Beauty Life Lessons podcast, has already had expert guests including Lorna Luxe and Jamie Genevieve within the first 6 months.
- In the six months between January to June 2021 on Apple News, Grazia reached over 22 million unique users, had just under 100,000 unique issue downloads and counted 1.3 million minutes of engagement time from premium subscribers.
- Yours continues to be the UK’s best-selling fortnightly lifestyle magazine for women over 50, with an average circulation of 175,500 copies per issue.
- Readers loyalty to the brand meant that print subscriptions have grown by 4.4% POP and 15.9% YOY.
- The title has also increased its digital circulation with increases of 7.9% POP and 18.5% YOY.
– ENDS –
For more info:
Jess Blake, Communications Director, UK Publishing
M: 07739 516345
Odelia Yu, Senior Commercial Communications Executive
M: 07896 235588
About Bauer Media UK:
Bauer Media UK reaches over 25 million UK consumers through a portfolio of world-class, multi-platform media and entertainment brands including heat, KISS, Grazia, Empire, Magic, Absolute Radio and the Hits Radio Brand Network. These brands offer commercial partners access to highly engaged audiences, with creative solutions underpinned by insight and instinct. Bauer Media UK is part of the Bauer Media Group, one of the world’s largest privately owned media businesses with media assets all over the globe.